Christmas Recipes: CANDY CANE DONUTS | Healthy + Protein-Packed Dessert
I’m a huge fan of peppermint-flavored things. I drink peppermint hot chocolate and peppermint mocha year round from Starbucks. I’m that person.
I figured what’s more festive and tasty than attempting to make peppermint donuts, topped with candy cane? This turned out to be one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever made. The donuts are perfectly fluffy and moist and the flavor is right on point. Now that’s coming from the most inexperienced baker of all time, so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, they’re damn good, especially for being healthy and high in protein.
If you try the recipe, tag me on Instagram @lexesohara and use the #Flexclub so I can find your creations!
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Blend oats in a food processor or blender until it reaches a flour cosistency
3. Add all of the ingredients under the “donut” section into a bowl and mix until smooth and consistent
4. Spray pan and sprinkle with flour.
5. Add the donut mix and bake for ~15 minutes
6. Add all of the ingredients for the frosting in a bowl and mix until consistent and smooth
7. Crush the candy cane up in a plastic bag with a spoon
8. Wait until donuts have cooled, then drizzle with frosting and top with your crushed candy cane
169 calories | 13 P | 12 C | 5 F
Serving: 1 donut
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole oats, blended
1/3 cup egg whites
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup BPI Vannila Swirl protein
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Dash of salt
1/3 cup BPI Vanilla Swirl protein
3 tbsp almond milk
2 tsp melted butter
3 candy canes, crushed